Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Seattle: Outpost of North Dakotan Imperialism

Months ago, I groused about how Sarah Palin swiped my accent. Sure, she's faded back into the Alaskan tundra, but I still can't let loose a nice "you betcha!" without being mocked. I guess I can thank the Ceiling Cat that I've got no talent for winking.

Now, from a faithful reader and longtime friend (who shall remain nameless unless he chooses to out himself in comments) comes evidence that elements of the North Dakotan vernacular survive in ... Seattle? Apparently not all Scandivanian immigrants got stuck in Minnesota and eastern North Dakota. Some realized that winters were milder in the Pacific Northwest. (Conclude what you will about the less clever ones who never made it past North Dakota and ultimately spawned ... me.)

Here's the evidence for North Dakotan/Scandinavian cultural imperialism. It's probably not news to people who actually live in this neighborhood, but I was floored. And no, I don't know when this clip was made, but both the cars and the driving techniques remind me of my youth. All that's missing is a dirt section-line road. To this day, I like Braille approaches to parallel parking.



You've gotta watch it clear to the end - and suffer the super-cheesy laugh track - before you come to the telltale "uff da."

Now I'm wondering if they tell Ole and Lena jokes in Seattle, too. My mom knows dozens of them and she's got perfect pitch on the accent. (My favorite involves Ole, Lena, Betty Crocker, and sex, but you'd really need my mom to tell it. Trust me.)

2 comments:

Daisy Deadhead said...

"I'd be very surprised if our suspect was from Brainerd...And I'll tell you what, from his footprints, he looks like a big fella!"

:D

(I adore Marge in "Fargo")

Sungold said...

Oh, didn't you know? Marge is my big sister.

Well, I wish she were!